It's infuriating. It's hated. It's good for you. It's despised by youngsters and relished by older folks. It's... the Broccoli Concerto!
(Well, no; that's just what I call it, because it has the above in common with broccoli.) It's Mozart's Concerto in C and it's the audition piece for districts and All-City this year.
Unfortunately, in our district they picked a bad edition. (The surrounding districts have a good one.) Warning: If you can't read music this post will be largely nothing.
This edition has several annoying quirks that are purely formatting things. Like the Page Turns from the Black Lagoon, i.e., from this...
to this.
There's also the annoyingly ubiquitous grace note things that are actually supposed to be played like four sixteenth notes. From looking at the music you would never know this.
It bemuses me to see that they don't 1. write it as a group of sixteenth notes like they did in the very next measure, or 2. Explain it with a little blurb above. I know they can:
Apparently in the sane edition, the squeaky high notes (which have minds of their own) are an octave lower. But this edition is based, apparently, on the flute version of the same concerto...
Oh well. Despite all its shortcomings, it is rather nice.
(To listen to. Not to play.)





Well I'm sure nobody will play it perfeect. and i love broccoli. ever since I was a little child
ReplyDelete... that measure doesn't look easy at all...
ReplyDeletePrecisely.
Delete