One of the stanzas in the poem that I used to audition is as follows:
I tried it with a hacksaw,
I tried it with a torch.
It didn't even make a dent.
It didn't even scorch.
-from "Mummy Slept Late and Daddy Fixed Breakfast" by John Ciardi. In the poem, the narrator's dad makes waffles for breakfast, which he obviously is not accustomed to doing, because he burns all of them. I thought that a hacksaw was just the British way of saying chain saw, but I was wrong. Appparently, a hacksaw is extremely sharp, and is used for cutting metal, brick, and pipe. I found this when we (me, Kate, and Kate's little sister Bina) were discussing our auditions. Kate's dad told us what a hacksaw was, which led to a very interesting discussion about hacksaws. Kate said something along the lines of, "So, if you took about fifty cars, smushed them into a super-strong block, and tried to cut it with a hacksaw, it would work?" We agreed that it would. The dad in the poem must have burned the waffles badly. Of course, no one should let a small child use a hacksaw, especially to cut waffles!
Also, Jen is auditioning tomorrow, so GOOD LUCK Jen!
HACKSAW!!
ReplyDelete