27.10.09

WHY ARE SO MANY OBOE REEDS BLUE?

Actually, no. To have a blue oboe reed, you would need blue oboe cane. Oboe cane it the plant that oboe reeds are made out of, and it's kind of like bamboo. So, I will change my question to WHY DO SO MANY OBOE REEDS HAVE BLUE THREAD? I have played the oboe for four years, and I have had lots and lots of reeds: three red, three green, one silver, one orange, and one purple. The rest have been BLUE. WHY? Right now in my oboe case there are four reeds, and all of them are blue. Is there something about the color blue that makes it sound better? (I doubt it.) Does blue reed thread have a calming effect on the oboist's nervousness before a concert? (Probably not, because an oboe is maybe one and a half feet long and a reed is about three inches long. The thread is about 3/4 inch long, and if blue made a significant difference, oboes would be blue. Come to think of it, other instruments would probably be blue too. However, that is not uncommon in electric guitars.) Is blue reed thread cheaper to use than other colors? (No.) So, WHY ARE SO MANY OBOE REEDS BLUE?

3 comments:

  1. In the third sentence, I wrote "Oboe cane it the plant that oboe reeds are made out of." The 'it' should bd 'is'.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmmm gauge FF nylon thread, all colors are the same price. Good question.

    ReplyDelete
  3. FASHION!!!!!! Eh, anyway, you fit the school color!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.