Apologies to those of my friends with whom I have already shared this and who were probably expecting a new and exciting post.
I was playing the online game Twenty Questions yesterday. For those of you who live under a rock, like me, you think of something and the computer asks yes or no questions. Based on your answers, it "guesses" what you're thinking. Unfortunately it evaluates your answers based on the sadly ignorant majority's. For instance, if you are thinking of a hot air balloon and it asks "Was it in use before 1800?" and you say "Yes" because you are an informed citizen and know that it has in fact been in use since 1783, it will probably tell you (once it finally guesses) "20Q asked Was it in use before 1800. You said Yes. Most people said No." Yes, well, let me just say that it doesn't hurt to fact-check, especially since you are already on a computer with which it takes about five seconds.
Anyway, I'm in a bit of a cor anglais mood this week, since I'm playing it at chamber music camp. So I decided to find out if the all-knowing 20Q could guess it. Apparently not. I found it so amusing that I did it again so I could get a screenshot. (Note: As the questions are random at first, I was disappointed to see that the second time through I did not get "Does it cheer you up?" again.)
I love how it got close with "clarinet," very, very close with "oboe," and then just strayed away. It didn't make the screenshot, but its next guesses were viola, sitar, and electric guitar.
Then I thought, Hey, this is a computer. I can mess with it. I clicked "Play Again" and just hit Yes to every question.
Mm. Okay. Well, at my count the answers to five of those sixteen questions were correct. As far as I know, the typical human head has neither four wheels nor striped fur (#5 and 6). Nor is it an acceptable choice of furniture (#7) or a wild animal (#2). And it definitely isn't bigger than a sofa (#11)... unless of course you mean in a metaphorical sense, in which case I doubt any couch could compare. And then there's my favorites, #15 and 16.
"Dear, did you order anything?"
"No, why?"
"Oh, the post just came. This envelope looks rather bulgy..."
"Who's it from?"
"Your sister, Liza. Isn't she the organized crime leader? I thought she was still in hiding."
"So did I, what's she sent us?"
"Don't know, opening it now... Oh, a severed human head! How sweet of her!"
"She's so thoughtful! It's just the thing I needed to brighten up my day."
"Fancy her thinking of sending us a human head in an envelope. She's such a dear. I ought to send her a thank-you note..."
"Yes, do that. You know, Phil's been looking a bit blue... Maybe we should send him one. It would really cheer him up."


No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.