As the Masterman High School Orchestra, one of the things we're supposed to do is play at the seniors' graduation, for which there was practice today. As a ninth grader, it was my first time doing this, and I made a few observations.
1. I wish they would walk faster.
It's very nice of them to applaud for us. But if they really wanted to acknowledge our music, they could hurry up as they excruciatingly inch down the aisles. It takes two refrains of 'Pomp and Circumstance' just for the first people in line to reach the stage. It takes another five for the tail end. I don't know about people who play less intense instruments, but after two or three run-throughs of this my face was aching. (The muscles used aren't really on your lips. Consequentially, they make the whole bottom half of your face hurt.)
2. Our school song is weird.
I know that all school songs are weird. But ours is really weird. I can only assume that when it instructs us to "hold high the unfurled colors" it means metaphorically, because as far as I know we have no flag. I believe no one has ever uttered the clause "Thy name be ever praised / Masterman School" without having (or at least repressing) a huge eye roll.
3. Our school auditorium is a very irritating place.
First of all, there are all these weird carvings everywhere. They're mostly creepy faces. During our school play, one of them was illuminated with a spotlight. There's also a sort of space near the front where a few rows of chairs have been removed, for whatever reason. On the front of the balcony, two gilded angels in relief flank a gilded circle for a clock. The clock, incidentally, is square. Ahh, to do as our school song says and cherish the ideal of dignity.
the clock made me laugh. hahaha hahaha. that's a weird place to have a grad...the ccp was nicer
ReplyDelete