11.9.12

From our precalc textbook:



Answer: Yes.

Of course, it's not that simple. There's a discount, but then there's local sales tax and state sales tax, and you have to combine them into one equation and then plug in $36.99. It's all very arcane. Precalc has a narrow lead as my new favorite class.

Anyway, on Saturday I had two consecutive auditions (for the Settlement chamber music thing I do and for Sinfonia, which is a youth orchestra) and they went well. Before the Settlement one, auditioning kids are allowed to use the surrounding rooms to warm up and practice. There was only one open, and it was the one with all the portraits of various composers and musicians on the walls. I think they put them there to make you feel inferior, because honestly, it's really hard to play, for instance, a Bach concerto when he's glaring down at you judgmentally. (I'm not paranoid. You would have thought this too.)
It was slightly more high-pressure before the Sinfonia audition, because everyone warmed up together in this huge echoey church. Which is all very nice if you're a string player and can play very, very quietly (which the other people were and could) but not so nice if you're an oboe player, and when you try really hard not to be noticed it just comes across that you're choking on your reed.