16.9.10

Thanksgiving?

Nearly every American knows the classic Thanksgiving story. It is a holiday of family, turkey, and, of course, giving thanks.
While the part about the dinner and the corn planting and eel fishing and whatnot is all very pleasant, the journey on the Mayflower is equally important. Before the Pilgrims suffered a long, hard, grueling winter in the so-called "New World", they suffered a long, hard, grueling transatlantic voyage. Today is the 390th anniversary of the Mayflower's setting sail. I'd bet you didn't know that. It also happens to be Karl-Heinz Riedle's birthday, though I didn't expect anyone to know that (except possibly Kate). I certainly didn't.
You probably didn't want a history lesson. But it is sort of important. Think about it: no Mayflower=no long, hard, grueling voyage=no long, hard, grueling winter=no help from Squanto and his friends=no Thanksgiving.
That is not the happiest line of thought. So here is an interesting picture that I drew on Microsoft Paint:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.