15.9.10

Back To School

Yesterday, the president gave his Back to School speech at our school. Now, of course this was a great honor and everything, but they absolutely went nuts with cleaning. Obviously our school should look nice for the president. But shouldn't it look nice every day? Well, it doesn't. Our pests are infamous: mice, rats, cockroaches, even maggots. So they totally went overboard: repaneled the stage, waxed the floor, cleaned the windows. And don't ask me who "they" are-I don't know. We came to school and it was clean. We were shocked.
There was a ton of security. As we all had to go through metal detectors, the line went down the courtyard, around the corner, and halfway down the block. We heard the Secret Service complaining about our backpacks and their rather full contents. Ha! As if THEY had to carry them around. "Yeah," I felt like saying, "I love having to lug this around." (Sarcastically of course.)
President Obama's speech was seventeen minutes long. Prior to his entrance, we had to wait an hour and two minutes in the hot, sweaty, smelly auditorium. The speech was good, but it felt sort of impersonal. Like he wasn't talking to Masterman, he was talking to everybody. Which he was. Ah well, I shouldn't be complaining. The president came to our school! Unfortunately, only half of our school can fit in our auditorium. Which is just a huge bummer for the people that didn't go. Which is also sort of inconvenient because our auditorium holds a little more than 600 people, while there are 1,200 students.
I am attempting to embed the video into this post. If it doesn't work I shall most definitely be very frustrated.

3 comments:

  1. It didn't work. I am most definitely very frustrated.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If one is going to a wedding or a funeral, one would certainly dress nicer than on a regular day. When a family is visiting or having guests, the children usually exhibit better behavior than when alone with siblings and parents. Your scool spruced up for a special occasion - then back to normal. That's just the way it is.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.