13.3.12

March Comes In Like an Ice Cream Truck

Room 9 and Room 10 have a near tie in being the most absurdly uncomfortable room at Masterman. They are situated on opposite sides of the dank, unfriendly basement, and are unbearably hot in wintertime. There's rumors of melted sneakers and burning paper in these rooms. However, I've gotta say Room 9 wins for just one small reason.
    Now, apparently, March has decided to break its tradition and be sunny and pleasant outside. Today it was seventy degrees and felt like May. The Mister Softee truck returned to its post outside Masterman. Right outside a grate on the sidewalk, a grate that leads to a basement window...
    In seventh grade I had Algebra 1 and homeroom in Room 9, and when it was warm, you'd hear the Mister Softee song. It nearly faded into the other sounds of the street outside, but somehow it never managed to. Whatever we were doing, there was the Mister Softee truck incessantly playing its jaunty little tune. It was inescapable. It was ubiquitous. It was annoying.
    Mister Softee parks in a different place now--across the street. I guess it isn't as loud now, or maybe completely inaudible. I'm not sure.
    There was a point to this story, but (as Douglas Adams says) it has temporarily escaped the chronicler's mind.

1 comment:

  1. The point: wait until after school to play the song!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.