Today it rained for about twenty minutes. This was extremely irritating, as I prefer it to downpour in a torrential deluge for the whole day. Unless I'm waiting for the bus, of course. (Although it's true I have no control whatsoever over this.)
The French for "It's raining" is "Il pleut."
The Disgruntled Commuter Body Language for "It's raining" is to stand morosely just outside the bus stop because all the people who arrived at it just before you did are crowding into it and you don't want to be crowded in there with them because it's the size of the average closet and there are already eight people squashed into it, but you contradictingly also don't want not to be crowded in there with them, because that entails standing morosely on the sidewalk while the rain is irritatingly and stubbornly refusing to cease and you are fully aware that everything in your bag is now soaked through, and that includes any and all food, electronics, and homework.
If you are in this situation, as I have been many times, the absolute last thing you want to hear is the poem "April Rain Song" by Langston Hughes. (Good thing I checked because I thought it was by Maya Angelou.) Here it is in its entirety:
Let the rain kiss you
Let the rain beat upon your head with silver liquid drops
Let the rain sing you a lullaby
The rain makes still pools on the sidewalk
The rain makes running pools in the gutter
The rain plays a little sleep song on our roof at night
And I love the rain.
I do not have much of a rationalized argument for my disliking this poem; my only sound reason being that we did an adaptation of it in 5th grade in choir, and it not only sounded a little ridiculous but also was conducted in 5/4 time, which is very awkward to conduct and follow. It was an object of ridicule among the middle school chorusters. It isn't really a bad poem. It's just hard to take something seriously once you've sung it to a rather odd and skewed tune (to prove this, get a copy of the United States Constitution and sing the words while improvising a melody. Just make sure you're alone or in sympathetic company).
I never knew that song y'all sang was a poem 0_o about it raining on bus stops, I assume that this year if I take septa, my school shoes will turn gross in the rain. Ew
ReplyDelete