11.6.11

Take That, Standardized Testing!

A few days (or is it weeks?) ago, we had to take a standardized test for Algebra I. One is required to pass it to graduate from high school. I--along with a lot of my classmates--took Algebra II this year... and the test wasn't that hard for us. (Actually, the test was even easier for the people who were actually taking Algebra I.) I had plenty of time left and I wrote this poem on my (unused) scratch paper. Everyone told me I should post it on my blog, so:

Oh standardized test!
Oh standardized test!
You are the worst and ice cream is the best.
We fill in your bubbles;
We answer your questions.
We solve all your problems.
And for our protection,
You come with a seal that so coldly preaches:
"Remove when instructed to do so by teachers."
All the children call out from the east to the west,
"Oh, please do away with this standardized test!"
This standardized test!

Oh standardized test!
Oh standardized test!
You are the worst and gelato's the best.
Your crisp clean white pages
And stiff answer sheets
Signify to us
A pain nothing beats.
We take you for hours one week every year
It's why we dread April: it's you that we fear!
If somehow they thought that you'd make us less stressed,
They were wrong, I say--wrong, my dear standardized test!
Dear standardized test!

Oh standardized test!
Oh standardized test!
You are the worst and cupcakes are best.
"Use a number two pencil,"
They say to us students.
"Fill in your answers
With sureness and prudence!"
But your questions, you see, are quite vague and misleading.
"What does it mean by that?" students ask, pleading.
Our teachers cannot reply when they're addressed.
What's the point of this horrible standardized test?
Standardized test!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.